Thursday, July 24, 2008

Life as Bionic

June 22nd, 2008

It has been: 5 days since begin implanted on my left cochlear. I went in for my surgery last Tuesday June 17th 2008. Preparation for the surgery wasn’t easy for me because I never had surgery in entire of my life. At least these nurses and doctor were very friendly, of course, my mother was there for me too.

From the moment I lied on the hospital bed, I kept staring at the digital clock overhead in the operating room. I staring at them for no reason, I remember the time was 7:15am in the morning. Yes, it was early morning but I had to attend to the Baptist Hospital 5:30am in the early morning. At least I did not even earn enough sleep time because I knew I’ll sleep a lot after surgery. As soon my surgeon doctor came to me and signed with his own hand said “Five minutes.” Then the nurse came and gave me sleep shot on my IV line. Right moment before I got shot, he said “here goes to the Happy Shot.” Or something what he tried to speak to me while I was not wearing my eye contacts. They were moved me to the operating table, less than half minute, my entire of my nervous systems were down and even my spring cord was action real funny. I was like “wow, that was the best shot ever I felt.” That’s last thing I ever remember before I slept.

When I woke up thought, it was whole other story like what people said in their Cochlear Implant CI blog. It was not anything like the felt throw up or sick something. I woke up like hungover from last night’s party and drunk. It was piece of cake for me to get up with the dizziness, I could handle the dizziness. But the hard part was is to take a bathroom to pee it because it takes while for me to response entire of my nervous to release the pee. So, I realized that the bandage was wrapped all over my head and it was so low on my forehead which it squishing my eyes and I couldn’t barely to open them very well.

I was in the recovery area, and nurses came to me and see if I able to send home with my mother and grandpa. From the moment I stepped into grandpa’s vehicle, I just couldn’t seem to get comfortable because it was unbearable while riding the car. The city of Nashville has crowded traffics and it made harder for grandpa to get out of the city. I had to point it out for him before I go back to sleep in the car. About several hours later, it felt like I slept for like couple of minute, guessed morphine drug was helpful. Then as soon I arrived home, again, I went to bed while my mother was out to grab the meds for me.

First night after surgery, it was difficult for me to sleep; the painkiller meds didn’t help me to kick it in till 2 or 3 in the morning. What was the painful look alike; the pain goes from my left shoulder all the way up to the top of my left ear. Also, rest of my behind of left ear was pressuring. It feels bruised and tender, like someone actually hit me with a brick. Prehaps, they might be dropped me off the surgery table and hit the floor. If it so, I’ll be damned.

On the third days after surgery, in the early morning as soon I woke. It came to my mind first thing about to remove my head bandage because it was discomforted. It was hardest part to remove it from behind of my head, I had to use scissor to cut some of my hair because it was painful to remove and also it was stuck like it been glued. On that day, I’ve finally walked a lot around the inside and outside of house because I don’t like to sit down and do nothing. Also it needed to stretch my legs and arms. My balance was nonexistent but it was piece of cake since it felt exactly same as hungover from heaviest party. That’s right, that was part of college life! In the last several days after surgery, I found myself unbelievable what I have seen in the TV channels, these programs really bored me to death already! Ever since I graduated from High School back in 2003, I started spend less amount of time with the TV program. Only thing it would be kept myself interesting into TV by buy or rent something coolest movie.

So, all in all, I was look like redneck after all since not begin shaved or washed my hair for a least two days. Shaved it out, washed ¾ of my hair due cannot touch the scars and let water in my left ear for more than a week as following doctor’s order.

People kept asking me if I have able to hear anything, I explained to all of them because some of them don’t know how cochlear implant work. My cochlear implant device won’t be active as following July 14th. It also makes me to look forward to being able to hear. I have been deaf for nearly 23 years since born. I am into full of curious what would sounds look alike. Without it, I could able to hear low frequency such as rumble or higher vibration, I can not hear anything such as human voice known as high frequency at all.

1 comment:

VBnBama said...

Have you checked out Deaf Village?
you can submit your blog for free and read a whole list of other d/Deaf related blogs
www.deafvillage.com